MadTrippin

The Amazing Race Meets National Lampoon’s Vacation

Andrew’s Day 2

Posted by madtrippin on April 9, 2008

Today we went to the Sea of Galilee, which is really a large large, freshwater lake (4 miles by 22 miles or so).  We took a 30-40 minute boat ride with some site-seeing.

They have a boat they call the Jesus boat at the museum.  Jesus really had nothing to do with it, but it was dated to the time of Jesus.  I suspect adding Jesus to the name is just a marketing hook and it seemed to be working.  I was impressed with the gift shop.  They advertised their website – jesusboat.com – on everything.

I also got an opportunity to do some mullet hunting.  I bagged a couple of good ones today with Gabe’s help doing spotting and with being a decoy, but again… I couldn’t upload them.  Tomorrow we’ll be in a new  hotel and the pictures will be up.

We also went to a couple other holy sites (who’s names escape me at the moment).  Most notably the church that contains the altar (more of the remnants of and altar) where Jesus is said to have performed the miracle of the fishes and loaves.  They had a great koi pond and crazy, original mosaics that were totally restored (pictures tomorrow night).

The coolest place, in my opinion, was Bet She’An.  It’s an old Roman/Byzantine ruins site.  Very cool stuff – columns, a theater, aquaducts, mosaics, etc.

I’ll be glad to move move on to Jerusalem tomorrow.  This place is about 1.5 miles out of the city and the hotel goes dead in the evening with all the older people going to bed at 9:00.  I guess the new hotel rocks and is actually in more of a metro area.

5 Responses to “Andrew’s Day 2”

1. Maria Holloway said

I cannot wait to see all of the pictures! Sounds like you’re seeing some amazing – and old – stuff. Wish we were with you! (The jesus boat and an Israelian mullet in the same day? Whoa.) I look forward to reading about your adventures in Jerusalem. Hope your Gabe-filter is able to keep up with his talk of poop and the like.
    Miss you!

2. Ben said

Going to a place that’s more “metro” sounds right up your ally. BLAM!!! Sounds like a cool trip!

3. Melissa said

OK – I’m annoyed. I posted a comment to each of you and they were very funny, but they don’t show up!!!

when it comes to computers I’m like Mom with the remote controls (”how do you turn this thing on?”).

Sounds like you are having fun. I can’t wait to see some pictures.

Love you!

4. Melissa said

OK – I found my initial comments (they’re on the “about Andrew” page. They weren’t as funny as I thought . . .

5. Shelly said

Good morning :o)

I’m sure that you are really bummed to be missing out on the great weather back home! I look forward to seeing more pictures! I am willing to put together a scrapbook for you on all of you great adventures & memories! Say hello to everyone, and have a great time!